Thursday, August 27, 2009

What actually happened (boating)

Jenny mentioned briefly what happened to my face on Sunday...
In the interest of accuracy, I'll tell you that the story actually goes like this:
(Scene 1)
(It's overcast and dreary. The lake is calm and eerily silent. Apparently no one thought it would be a good day for boating. These absentees have no idea just how right they are; these waters are about to turn darker... with blood!
Our boat sidles closer to the dock, but we're still about 10 or 15 feet away. The dock worker makes an under-hand throwing motion with the ski flag. I hold out my hand to indicate that I am ready to catch the flag when he throws it. Oh, how wrong I was. If only I knew what was in store for me, I would have worn a hockey mask, or maybe my grinding face shield (picture below).
The dock worker, sullen and grumbling about having to step out of the comfort of his rickety shack and into the squall that was now mercilessly battering the lonely dock, viciously hurled the ski flag at me like a blunted dart of fury. I, expecting it to tumble end-over-end like a baton, and not straight at my face, like a javelin of suffering, misjudged its speed and the projectile rammed into my face, just under my right eye, then ricocheted into Jenny, who was sitting just beside me.)
Dock worker: "Hey, sorry about your face!"
Jenny: "It didn't hit my face! It hit my boob!"
Me: "Uh, I think he was actually talking to me."
(Jenny turns her head up to look at me, and as the realization dawns on her, her face turns into a mask of horror and concern.)
Jenny: "Oh my gosh! Are you ok?"
My face: A Grinding Face Mask:

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh, my poor, cute hubby. I still think you look like a stud. I kind of like the bad boy face wound :)

Unknown said...

I think you should definitely wear the grinding face shield next time. Love you! Love your story!

~ Dani and Mikey ~ said...

I have to agree with Kathleen, but I think you should wear the shield EVERYWHERE you go. You never know who is going to hurl something at your face, and you can never really be too cautious!

Dani